Airline EasyJet announced through its own website earlier this week that it had been the victim of a hack. Criminals managed to get their hands on the private data of nine million customers. It concerns travel details and e-mail addresses. The credit card details of 2,208 customers were also leaked.

EasyJet has released few details about the attack for now. It is said to be an attack by a "very sophisticated" party. The unauthorized access has been shut down. The airline will notify all affected customers in the coming days. The data breach has since been reported to Britain's National Cyber Security Centre. The company has also engaged forensic experts to investigate the hack.
"We take the cybersecurity of our systems very seriously and have robust security measures in place to protect our customers' personal information. However, the threat continues to evolve as cyber attackers become increasingly sophisticated," CEO Johan Lundgren revealed. Today EasyJet announced that e-mail addresses and travel plans of 200,000 Dutch customers were also captured during the hack. By May 26 these customers will be contacted about this, the airline said.
Click here for EasyJet's press release on this incident.
This news item can also be found in the Data Breach file
